“Everyone delivered on their expectations. Jim gets it. He understands what’s important to the sisters. And all along there was friendliness, respectfulness and absolute cooperation.”
—Sister Teresa at the Sisters of Christian Charity in Mendham, NJ
The Sisters of Christian Charity’s Mallinckrodt Convent in Mendham, NJ, is home to about 110 sisters who are committed to Christ’s calling by helping others through charity and supporting social justice. From educating and empowering students at Nativity Miguel Scranton to promoting good health and overall well-being at the UPMC Susquehanna, the group responds to the social needs of the times in schools, orphanages, parishes and hospitals throughout New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Ohio. Founded in 1849 in Germany by Pauline von Mallinckrodt, the Sisters of Christian Charity first started a ministry for blind children before emigrating to the United States in 1873 to escape the political unrest.
Fast forward to 2016, and Sister Teresa Ann along with other members of the administration realized they needed to downsize and consolidate. So, she called on Jim Whalen of the WBG to help, knowing that they had extensive experience transforming faith-based organizations and shared a passion to help others. After hearing about the group’s history of the founder Pauline picking up pieces of broken glass from the streets so that poor children without shoes would not cut their feet and sharing her allowance with the poor and needy, Jim knew he wanted to help.
350 Bernardsville, Mendham, NJ 07945
Scope of work
From June 2016 to May 2018 the WBG carefully moved or disposed of the contents of the group’s Danville, PA, home to the 120-bed facility in Mendham, making sure to take inventory on each item. This included the careful transportation of an altar and statues among other furniture as well as all the personal items of the retired, elderly and ill sisters who were living there. In Mendham the WBG worked with carpenters and other contractors to transform their new living space that now houses the administration, formation programs for the sisters and a residence for both the sisters who work in local schools and parishes and for the retired sisters.
One of the primary goals of the project was to disrupt the lives of the sisters as little as possible and make their transition into their new home as seamless as possible. Therefore, the WBG had to be expedient in taking inventory and moving items from one location to another. There also had to be a plan in place that would accommodate the needs of the sisters as they aged, ensuring that the services they needed would be conveniently available to them.
The result was a new Motherhouse where sisters from age 22 to 103 are now able to pray, live and serve together. The project, which was completed on time and under budget, included an updated lobby, chapel, parlors, exercise room, a rehab facility that includes a new hydrotherapy pool, modern dining facilities and a friendly meeting area. Let the photos shown below tell the story.